When you’re shopping around for dentists and dental services, it can be hard to know exactly what you should be asking. To get the most from a consultation, though, you need to have a list of questions prepared ahead of time. This will help you feel more confident when you’re interviewing dentists, and having a good understanding of the treatment will help you to be more prepared for it. Particularly with cosmetic dentistry, it’s important to be ready psychologically and financially for your procedure! Cosmetic dentistry is amazing and can fix your teeth to be straighter, white, and more attractive, but you need to be comfortable with your provider and not just assume things will go well. Here are some questions to ask at your cosmetic dental consultation.
- How much experience do you have with cosmetic dentistry? Learn as much as you can about your potential provider, including the years of training and practice. Find out about your dentist’s qualifications, and ask to see photos of patients who have been successfully treated, so that you can be confident you’ll leave the office with the look you want.
- What procedure would you recommend for me? Your dental specialist should conduct a thorough dental examination and talk to you about your expectations and goals. X-rays and other equipment may be used to determine the condition of your teeth, and a virtual smile design can help you see what you will look like after the proposed treatment. Cosmetic dentistry procedures include porcelain veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, Lumineers, gum recontouring, and teeth whitening, as well as metal-free crowns. An experienced dental professional will be able to tell you which treatment options can help you meet your goals.
- What are the pros and cons of this treatment? All dental treatments have benefits and drawbacks, and you need to know what they are before you commit to a procedure. You might have an expectation of a certain treatment when you go in for your consultation, but after speaking to the dentist, you might realize a different procedure is a better fit for you.
- What will the recovery process be like? In order to plan for your treatment, you need to know how long it will take you to recover. Will the timetable fit with your busy schedule, or will you need to take time off to commit to the procedure? Some patients bounce back quickly, recovering in just a few days. Others may require weeks to get back to their normal lives. Recovery time differs from procedure to procedure, and knowing how long you’ll need to rest can help you be psychologically ready.
- How much will my procedure cost? Because dental insurance doesn’t typically cover cosmetic procedures, it’s important to know how much you will be paying for your treatment. Your specialist can help you determine this, and some services that are restorative as well as cosmetic may end up being covered. Ask about financing, and which payment options the dental practice prefers.
If you’re ready to find a dental practice committed to your beautiful, healthy smile, Belmont Dental Group is ready to meet you! We cover all kinds of dental care, going beyond basic teeth cleaning to include services from periodontics to cosmetic dentistry to emergency care, and we believe in helping our patients be partners in their own dental health. Our dentists and dental services are top-notch, and we’re ready to help you look and feel your best! Call our dental office today at (617) 484-2431 or contact us through our website for a consultation.