Your Go-To Dental Team For Dental Cleaning Services
Belmont Dental Group provides professional dental exams and cleanings in Belmont, MA. At your initial dental visit at our state-of-the-art facility, one of our highly experienced dentists will perform a comprehensive dental exam. Our primary objective is to keep your teeth healthy, which is why we offer dental exam and cleaning services. To ensure their teeth are clean and healthy, patients should undergo a dental exam at least once every six months.
What Is a Dental Exam?
A dental exam is an examination of your teeth and gums that is performed by a dentist and dental hygienist. Also referred to as dental checkups and oral exams, dental exams are used as a preventative measure to ensure optimal oral health. It is recommended that both children and adults undergo a professional dental exam at least once every six months.
What’s Included In A Dental Exam?
At Belmont Dental Group, a comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. During a dental exam, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Diagnostic X-Rays: Essential for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss, x-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral Cancer Screenings: These screenings check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum Disease Evaluations: These evaluations check the gums and bones around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Tooth Decay Examinations:During this examination, the surfaces of your teeth will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Existing Restorations Examinations:If you have any existing restorations, such as fillings or crowns, we will examine them at this time.
The Steps of A Dental Cleaning
Registered dental hygienists usually perform professional dental cleanings. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Calculus (Tartar) Removal: Calculus, also referred to as tartar, is a hardened plaque left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Plaque Removal: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth Polishing: We remove stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling during the teeth polishing step.
The Importance of Dental Exams & Cleanings
Dental exams and cleanings are important because they help find tooth decay, diagnose gum disease, and identify other oral health problems early. Oral exams can help dentists determine your oral health and where it needs to be or if steps need to be taken to elevate it. Without these routine checkups, oral health issues can go unnoticed and develop into much larger problems. Because of this, it’s imperative to schedule a dental exam and cleaning at least twice a year.
How To Prepare For A Dental Exam
Once you schedule your initial dental examination and cleaning at our office in Belmont, MA, there are a few easy steps you can complete to prepare for your dental exam before your appointment. These steps include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Confirm your appointment at least 24 hours in advance
– Ensure your dental records are up to date
– Brush and floss your teeth before your appointment
– Arrive early to fill out any necessary paperwork
– Discuss any dental problems with your dentist
Contact Us Today to Schedule A Dental Exam
If you need a dental exam or cleaning, we hope you’ll choose Belmont Dental Group in Belmont, MA. Contact us today if you’re interested in learning more about the ins and outs of a dental exam and cleaning costs or would like to schedule an appointment.