Foods that Help Build Stronger Teeth
How do you keep a healthy smile? You know you need to brush, floss, and see your dentist. But did you know that what you eat makes a big difference in the strength of your teeth?
- Tooth enamel is made of minerals. It makes sense, then, that if you eat foods full of calcium and phosphorus you can help undo the damage done by acidic foods and drinks. Get your calcium from yogurt, hard cheeses, seafood, milk, tofu, and almonds and phosphorous from pumpkin seeds, fish, Brazil nuts, red meat, eggs, tofu, and broth.
- Did you know that some foods keep teeth clean? Hard, crunchy, foods apples, celery, cucumbers, and carrots scrub your teeth and wash away bacteria.
- Eat your vitamins! You can get vitamin C from citrus, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, potatoes, kiwi, strawberries, kale, and spinach, and it’s great for your gums. Vitamin D makes your teeth healthy, and it’s in fish, egg yolks, and cod liver oil.
- Antioxidants are bacteria-fighting machines! They can fight inflammation and periodontal disease, while protecting your gums from cell damage and infection. Find antioxidants in sweet potatoes, apples, berries, grapes, raisins, nuts, and beans.
- Drinks do more than hydrate. Water can help clean your teeth, but black and green tea are also good because they have fluoride and polyphenols. Here’s a surprise: coffee can protect your teeth from decay and help fight plaque, as long as you drink it black and unsweetened.
If you’re ready to find a team to help you keep your teeth healthy, Belmont Dental Group is ready to meet you! We cover all kinds of dental care, from teeth cleaning to cosmetic dentistry to emergency care, and we believe in helping our patients be partners in their own dental health. Call us today at (617) 484-2431 or contact us through our website for a consultation.