You’ve heard the dentists at Belmont Dental Group tell you that scheduling dental cleanings twice a year is vital. If you’re like a lot of people, though, you may be wondering why “two cleanings a year” is so important. You make sure to brush your teeth every day, and scheduling a cleaning can be a struggle in its own way.
The truth is, the cleaning and exam you undergo during your routine dental checkups can help protect your oral AND overall health.
Keep reading to learn about 5 reasons your routine dental visits are so crucial!
- The dental hygiene provided at your checkup offers an extra layer of protection from plaque and the problems that come with it. When you brush and floss every day, you are working towards getting rid of plaque. Unfortunately, there are areas your regular toothbrush just can’t reach. With a professional cleaning, one of our experienced hygienists will reach the plaque in those easy to miss areas. This is important, because plaque leads to tartar, which makes you more susceptible to infection and illness. What’s more, infection in the mouth can lead to problems not only in your mouth, but can also lead to strokes, heart attacks, diabetes complications, and pregnancy complications.
- When you have regular dental appointments, you’ll save time, money, and hassle. Compared to dental treatments to help damaged teeth, routine dental cleanings are not expensive, especially when you have dental insurance. Cleanings are a time when your dentist will check for decay and tooth damage. Finding a problem early will help your health and wallet in the long run, as tooth decay can become expensive, time-consuming, and painful.
- Your dentist examines more than just your mouth. Of course, your dentist will check your mouth for cavities and early signs of gum disease. Beyond your oral health, though, the dentist will be examining your overall health. During your checkup, your dentist will screen for oral cancer, check for signs of sleep apnea, look for symptoms of TMJ (teeth grinding), and determine reasons behind dry mouth. You will also have routine x-rays taken, so your dentist can see what’s going on in your mouth. This is important because detecting oral health problems early makes them easier to treat.
- When you see your dentist on a regular basis, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and get answers. When you have your dental exam, your dentist will talk to you about your dental needs, goals, and overall oral health. This is the time you can ask questions and bring up any concerns you may have. Your dentist can offer tips for improving your oral hygiene and make suggestions about tools and treatments that might benefit you.
- Regular dental appointments allow you to learn how you can improve the look of your smile. Cosmetic dentistry can help teeth look better and function better. When your dentist sees you regularly, they will have an easier time determining which cosmetic dental treatments would help you. When your teeth are more aesthetically pleasing, your self-esteem will improve, and you’ll feel more confident.
A healthy lifestyle, along with regular visits to the dentist, can ensure that you have a happy smile and a healthy mouth for years to come. If you’re ready to find a team committed to keeping you healthy and smiling, Belmont Dental Group is ready to meet you! We cover all kinds of dental care, going beyond basic teeth cleaning to include services from periodontics to cosmetic dentistry to emergency care, and we believe in helping our patients be partners in their own dental health. Call our dental office today at (617) 484-2431 or contact us through our website for a consultation.