You’ve no doubt heard many times that good oral health is important, but do you know why? Of course, when you take care of your mouth you’ll have a healthier smile and better breath, but there’s more to it than that. In fact, your mouth’s health affects the health of your entire body. It’s vital to brush and floss, and regular dental care is an important part of maintaining your oral health. But do you have to go as often as every six months?
If you don’t think you need to see a dentist twice a year, you can talk to your dentist and ask what the recommendations are for your unique situation. For most people, though, there are some very good reasons to go that often.
- Having your teeth cleaned twice a year can prevent tooth decay. When you have regular dental checkups, it’s easy for your dentist to diagnose tooth decay quickly. This affords you an opportunity for early treatment, which can prevent cavities and other issues.
- What’s more, regular dental care can prevent plaque. Plaque is a sticky film, full of bacteria, that clings to the teeth and gums. Plaque leads to tartar, which discolors your teeth and can lead to gingivitis. Regular cleanings remove plaque, leaving your teeth cleaner and healthier.
- Your dentist can help you prevent gum disease. If left untreated, gum disease can cause red, swollen gums, make eating and drinking painful, and eventually lead to tooth loss.
- When you see your dentist twice a year, it’s more likely that you’ll be able to catch major issues early. One example of this is oral cancer, which can quickly become life-threatening if it’s not detected at an early stage.
- Ultimately, you’ll save money on emergency dental care. When you wait to see the dentist until you have a serious issue, you’re likely to need emergency treatment. Whether this means a root canal, tooth extraction, oral surgery, or another treatment, the solution to your problem is likely to be more costly than a dental checkup.
- Regular visits to the dentist can improve your smile. A healthy smile has a host of benefits, including improved self-esteem and a better impression on others.
At Belmont Dental Group, our team of dentists provides personalized and gentle dental care, backed up by more than 25 years of experience. We believe in communication, and encourage our patients to ask questions so they can make informed decisions. Our practice covers all phases of dentistry from teeth cleaning to cosmetic dentistry to emergency care, and we’re committed to helping patients become partners in their own dental health. We always have your best interests in mind and will use our training and technology to benefit you and your family. If you’re looking for quality dental services and personalized care in an atmosphere of trust, call (617) 484-2431 or contact us through our website to learn more.